Date and Place
The "INFN-SESAME International School on Efficient Scientific Computing - ESC@SESAME will be held at the SESAME (Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East) located in Amman (Jordan) from Sunday 28 May to Friday 2 June 2023.
Students should arrive by Saturday 27 May in the evening for the registration that starts at 5:00 pm and closes at 7:30 pm.
The program of the school is mostly targeted to PhD students, post-docs and young researchers who are actively involved with the development of scientific applications and systems. Although several topics are introduced without assuming previous specific knowledge, practical experience with basic concepts of C++ language is needed to fully assimilate the material presented in the School.
The number of participants will be limited to 30.
The deadline for applications to ESC23@SESAME is 15 March 2023. The Application form is available here.
The selection of the participants will be made on the basis of the information provided. Participants will be informed of the outcome of their application at the latest by the end of March 2023.
Participants are expected to attend the School for its full duration.
Participants will be lodged in single rooms with shower and WC in the SESAME's Sergio Fubini Guest House. Double rooms are available on request.
Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME)
King Al-Hussein Bin Talal street
Next to Princess Rahma University College
Allan, Al Salt,
SESAME location on maps:
The registration fee is 500,00 USD.
This amount covers:
- Tuition and handouts
- Accommodation in single room in the SESAME's Sergio Fubini Guest House from May 27th to June 2nd morning.
- Two daily coffee breaks;
- Breakfast and meals in the self-service canteen;
- Social dinner.
The fee does not cover travel expenses. The registration desk will be open on Saturday May 27th, 2023 from 5.00 pm to 7.30 pm at SESAME.
Registration fees can be paid on one of the following options:
- Advance payment to SESAME account, banking details will be sent to the shortlisted names accordingly (preferable option)
- Cash payment on the registration desk
The working language of the School will be English. There will be no simultaneous translation. Participants are expected to have a sufficient understanding of English.
How to get to SESAME.
Please find here all the information to arrive to SESAME.
For passport holders of a number of Countries, it is possible to obtain a visa on arrival
at Queen Alia international airport. Please consult the Official Jordanian Ministry of Interior
website ( https://moi.gov.jo/EN/Pages/Restricted_and_Non_Restricted_Countries_Nationalities ) and/or contact
your nearest Jordanian Consulate in order to check whether your passport allows you to
obtain a visa on arrival in Jordan or if you need to make a VISA application in advance.
- Users that can obtain VISA upon arrival at Queen Alia airport: depending on nationality VISA can be released upon payment or for free. Please be aware that in case of paying VISA only Jordanian dinars are accepted at the counter. It is suggested therefore to purchase or withdraw Jordanian dinars at one of the banks or ATMs at the airport before queuing for passport control. The cost is approximately JD 40.00 and it is at charge of the participant.
- For those participants who need to process the VISA beforehand, they can ask for
SESAME assistance: please fill in the VISA template enclosed and send it by e-mail
along with a copy of your passport ( with at least six months residual validity) to Ms
Roa Alnatour (firstname.lastname@example.org ) as soon as possible. Please note that the average time to obtain a visa is 2-3 weeks after submission. SESAME cannot be
considered responsible to refund any expense if VISA is refused for any reasons. Any VISA cost is at charge of the participant.
For more information about VISA requirements:
From Queen Alia International Airport (QAIA) to SESAME: Participants can use a taxi for transportation from/to the airport. Airport Taxi is beige color, and they exist immediately at the exit door of the terminals. Participants have to pay the driver for this service. They may do so in Jordanian dinars or US dollars. The taxi from/to the airport costs 30 JOD or equivalent in USD (~43 $) . They can get a receipt from the taxi organizer before they start their ride. Participants who arrive together and they can identify each other are able to share the taxi. ( for more info https://www.qataxi.com/en )
For further information, please contact: Roa.Alnatour@sesame.org.jo
ACCESS to SESAME and required DOCUMENTS
Please be aware that these documents are strictly required to guarantee access to SESAME Campus and to obtain your access card to the guest house, please provide this document to the guard office upon arrival.
- To have access to SESAME premises all users need to fill the following visit form online: https://www.sesame.org.jo/form/main-gate-visitors-form ( on the host filed please use the name of Ms. ( Roa Al Natour )
- Copy of your Passport/Official ID; please make sure it has 6 months residual validity
To know more about Jordan, please visit the website below: